Skip to Navigation
University of Pittsburgh
Print This Page Print this pages

June 12, 2014

Need maintenance? Here’s what to do

classroomservices.kkbWhen maintenance is needed, who ya gonna call? The University Times asked Facilities Management how to ensure that requests for maintenance get into the right hands. Dan Marcinko, assistant vice chancellor administration/facilities and University sustainability coordinator, noted that posted on the board in each classroom is a classroom services notice that lists phone numbers for Facilities Management, CIDDE audiovisual services and the Pitt Police.

Marcinko said there are four ways to report classroom maintenance issues:

  • Call Facilities Management’s work control desk.

— The Facilities Management number (4-9512) posted in classrooms also is a way to report issues such as spills or a restroom’s empty paper towel dispenser, Marcinko said. “Call the desk and they dispatch somebody.”

  • Contact your building’s area coordinator.

— The Facilities Management services guide ( includes phone and email contact information for Facilities Management’s eight area coordinators and lists each coordinator’s assigned buildings.

  • Email Facilities Management.

— Departmental coordinators (assigned by schools and departments to be the primary contact with Facilities Management) can make non-emergency maintenance requests via the Facilities Management website. But they must register their username first.

  • Use an online classroom problem report form.

— Classroom issues can be reported to the Office of the University Registrar via a fillable online form. (


Responses to emergency requests and immediate needs are dispatched by radio, Marcinko said. Larger non-emergency maintenance issues, such as a non-functional toilet or sink, are issued an internal chit. Work orders are reviewed with a foreman based on the type of issue and the workload. Maintenance requests may be bundled so workers can tend to multiple tasks in a location, he said. And some delays stem from the need to wait for parts — especially when older equipment is involved.

—Kimberly K. Barlow