Skip to Navigation
University of Pittsburgh
Print This Page Print this pages

April 2, 2009

New life for an old club

Pitt once again has a faculty and staff club. Following months of restoration, the renovated University Club opened its doors April 1.

The demise of two clubs in Oakland spurred a call for a new club for faculty and staff. The University’s Pitt Club, housed in the Gardner Steel Conference Center, closed in 2003. The private University Club at 123 University Place closed in 2004. Pitt purchased the building in 2005 for $3.1 million and invested in a $20.2 million renovation plan to turn the 1923 structure into a place for faculty and staff to meet, eat, exercise and hold events.

In addition to the members-only portions of the building, the club houses the Brioche Doreé French Café, which is open to the public. The conference and banquet facilities are available for public bookings.

Three upper floors in the eight-story building are being leased by Family House, a nonprofit organization that provides housing for families of hospital patients who are undergoing treatment for serious illness. Pitt’s Office of Research also will be housed in the building.

Additional information on the University Club is available at

—Kimberly K. Barlow

Leave a Reply